Monday, November 22, 2004

Updates To November 22nd

About three weeks ago I started having some pain in my kidney area but me being me I pretty much brushed it off and ignored it. Last Sunday night (November 14th) I started having really bad right flank pain and feeling like I was being kicked in my right kidney by someone wearing boots. It wasn't too bad at first but the next day I called my doctor to see if I should worry because of all this cancer stuff. Well I left two messages on Monday, one on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, didn't bother on Thursday, and left two more on Friday. Never got a single call back from my doctor or her nurse all week. I was starting to wonder why I was being ignored and just wanted to know if I should worry about this pain that was getting worse with each day and maybe get the kids' test results.

So Friday afternoon I emailed my doctor and basically just asked what the heck was up and I just wanted to know if I should worry or not. Saturday she emailed me back and told me that it could be a number of things and to come in first thing on Monday to get some testing done. She also told me she never got any of my messages and she was horrified. She then gave me her phone number, cell number, and pager number and told me that if she doesn't call me back by 4pm on any day I call to call her on one of her lines. I really appreciated that.

Yesterday (Sunday) I couldn't take the pain anymore and I can take ALOT of pain but I just couldn't do it anymore. I had been fighting this horrid pain for a week and I was just drained so I called the doctor and asked her what I should do. She told me to go straight to the ER and called ahead so I didn't have to wait to get back there. Well that part was nice but the following FIVE hours was a bunch of BS to say the least.

The first hour (4:30p-5:30p) the doctor said what they would do and they had me pee in a cup. No one came in for the rest of the hour to see if I was okay.

The second hour (5:30p-6:30p) they took some blood and took the pee in the cup after I told them to. No one came back again for the rest of the hour.

The third hour (6:30p-7:30p) a new nurse came in and said she was my nurse, left, and I had a 5 minute ultrasound done.

No one came back for TWO hours. Not to check on me or anything. I had to lay there in pain for 5 hours without a single offer of anything at all. Finally I asked to use a phone to call my husband because I had left him with the kids and didn't expect to be stuck in the ER for 5 hours without knowing what was going on. Yes, I said it in a crappy tone too. I was beyond ticked off and Vin had to talk me into not walking out and going home. LOL. After I got off the phone with him I hear over the loudspeaker is "Dr Q, Dr L is on the phone and wants to speak with you".

Five minutes later I FINALLY saw the doctor who told me that I have an obstruction in my right kidney and the beginning of a UTI. Didn't tell me what is obstructing my kidney but I'm figuring most likely a kidney stone as those are one of the lovely things that comes along with this MEN2A. No clue what I'm suppose to do if it doesn't go away or pass though. Guess I'll find out tomorrow at my appointment. The ER doc also said that had I not gotten treatment for this it would have turned into an inflammation in my kidney and that can lead to death. Niceeeeeeeeeeeee.

Prescribing me an antibiotic was a royal pain as well because I'm supposedly allergic to the whole penicillin family and a whole other family of normal antibiotics. Finally I was prescribed Cipro for the infection and stuff and Loratab for the pain because I'm not allowed a whole lot I guess. Loratab makes me throw up and feel very sick so I'm only taking half a pill meaning that the pain is dulled but I can obviously still feel it. *sigh*

So it has begun. This is the start of many complications, appointments, trips to the ER, and surgeries. Not how I thought my life would be. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my endo to go over some other test results I had, get a copy of my records, and hopefully get the kids' test results. They're going to try to have the lab fax them the results so we know tomorrow. I also have to go tomorrow to get copies of my CT scan films to take to Tampa with me. Next Monday I have to get the slides from Pathology on my biopsy to take as well and then Tuesday afternoon Lil Man and I head out to Tampa to meet up with Vin's mom and chill out before my appointments start on Wednesday (December 1). So I won't be around from the 30th through probably the 3rd or 4th.

I will update again tomorrow after my appointment. Keep your fingers crossed that I know my childrens' fates tomorrow.

No comments: